Dental Implants Chattanooga, TN
About Dental Implants
Dental implants are small titanium screws that are implanted into the jawbone and capped with a natural-looking crown to replace missing teeth. Because titanium is able to bond or “osseointegrate” with bone, the dental implant becomes just as sturdy as a natural tooth over a period of a few months, allowing patients to eat, laugh and enjoy life without restriction.
Why should I choose dental implants?
Dental Implant Benefits:
- No dietary restrictions
- No slippage – dental implants are fixed
- Protect the jawbone from resorption
- Near-natural aesthetics
- Last a lifetime
Bone Grafting for Dental Implants
The loss of a tooth results in almost immediate resorption of the jaw. Therefore, many patients must undergo routine bone grafting prior to dental implant surgery to build up the jawbone. This procedure is very predictable, comfortable, and is performed right here in our office at the Center for Oral Facial & Implant Surgery.
Dental Implants Procedure
- Consultation: A consultation, imaging and exam help us to determine the state of your health and your needs.
- Bone grafting is performed if needed. Following bone grafting, the site must be left alone for several months to build up the bone.
- Dental implant surgery is performed in our office in a procedure that takes about one hour.
- Osseointegration: The implant is left to “osseointegrate” for a few months following surgery.
- Abutment: A connecting piece called an “abutment” is attached to the implant.
- Final Crown: Lastly, you will return to your dentist for the placement of a final crown.
Dental Implants FAQ
Do dental implants hurt?
No. The surgical site will be totally numb throughout surgery, and for several hours after. You may experience some discomfort as the anesthesia wears off. You will want to follow the medication plan we give you in our office to minimize soreness.
How long does the process take?
The dental implant process can take anywhere from 3-12 months, depending on the need for bone grafting and other specifics to your case.
Do dental implants require special care?
No – dental implants can last a lifetime provided that you care for them as you would your natural teeth: regular brushing, flossing and professional cleanings.
Will I be able to work after implant surgery?
Most of our patients prefer to go home following surgery, but are able to return to work the next day.
How much do dental implants cost?
The initial cost of dental implants is more than that of traditional replacement methods such as dentures and bridges. However, dental implants are very cost-effective over time because they last much longer (often for a lifetime).
To find out more about dental implants, please call our friendly, fun team today at the Center for Oral Facial & Implant Surgery! Chattanooga Office Phone Number (423) 893-3333